Wednesday 11 December 2013

Further Design Development

Since my last post I've developed my design a lot further in Illustrator.
I started to work further on the newspaper article aspect of the design, so I started with drawing lines where I wanted to simulate text for the articles.

The reason I have chosen to draw lines rather than write in fully fledged articles is because I do not want to overwhelm the page with too much text. I am slightly concerned with, though, the amount of the lines there are going to be on the page - what with the fencing in the background too - so at this point I started to consider their opacity and how prominent that are on the page. I want them to be obvious and look realistic, but not too much so they clash with other parts of the design. 

Whilst it's not too easy to see it in the small screen-cap, I made a decision to not make every single line the exact same length. I did this because I felt having each line start and end at the exact same point made it look as if there were just a perfect rectangle of lines placed on the page, and by very slightly offsetting them it made the design look a bit better and more true to a newspaper. 

Penguin provided the text that needed to be featured on the back of the book for the blurb. Because of my newspaper idea, it made sense to me and looked good to fit the blurb within the newspaper as if it were an actual article. I decided not to align and format it like the surrounding articles, and use colour to make it much easier to read. I chose red as it will match what I am going to feature on the front cover, as well as red having certain connotations (e.g. violence, blood etc).
All of the lines that I drew for the article are just created with the line tool on Illustrator, so are very easy to manipulate and change the shape of. Again, to create more of a realistic feel, I decided to simulate each individual word with the lines. I felt like it broke up the page a bit more and preferred the look of it. 
The article is at a slight angle as I wanted to make it look slightly offset and "edgy" on the angle, as if the paper had been ripped in a carefree way. You can see in the above screen cap how it will wrap around the entire book, over the spine. The addition of a paper texture over the article is an attempt to give it another aspect of realism, although I would like to add more prominent tears, rips and page curls to strengthen the idea of the paper being slightly ruined/destroyed. 
This is as far as I've got so far for where the book title is going to be featured. I started to experiment with the idea of a logo that is stamped over the top of the article, but I'm struggling on how I'm going to convey all the messages I want to in it. I want to include a knife, as I like the feeling that it will portray and I have an idea to have the only colour aspect of the front cover to be the red blood on the knife. 

I like the look of the slightly jagged edged circle, and want to develop this further. I'm really inspired by the retro logos that I researched in a previous post, specifically the ones below. 
Above is what the design looks like so far, without a background. I really like my use of red so far, and I want to incorporate it further on the front cover. 

No comments:

Post a Comment