Wednesday 11 June 2014

W3 Validation

As the last task, I used the W3 Validator to track down any errors that my HTML may have and correct them. I was shocked to see how many errors appeared when I pasted in my code from one of my pages - around 160. I worked through them, realising that half of my issue was that I'd completely forgotten that duplicating ID's was not idea, and I needed to change them to classes. So, I've been working through this, although it's not going to be possible for me to complete it all before the deadline!

Using TextWranglers 'find all' feature I've been changing errors across multiple .html files at the same time, as a lot of my errors are on every page as my content pages are duplicates of each other with different content on each.

I have managed to get, for example, Chapter Four down to 21 errors. That sounds like a lot, but it started at around 80 odd and I'm finding that by fixing some of the errors it ruins the functionality of the website and breaks things (such as the navigation). I understand that 21 is rather high, but if I had more time I would go through, 'break' the site by changing all of the errors and then work to fix it without producing so many errors! I've gone through and changed a lot of the issues as I said, with TextWrangler's 'find all' feature.
Errors in chapter_four.html

The majority of the work to fix a lot of the errors revolved around A: changing all fixable ID's to Class's and B: ensuring all images had "alt" values, so that is what I have done.
Also, there seemed to be a lot of stray </div> tags that were not closing any <div> tags. Some people were having issues with removing these, as it seemed removing them would present more errors but keeping them was an error itself, but I did not have that issue. I have gone through and removed all of these. They are probably down to cutting out/pasting in various code from page to page, stray </div> tags are bound to be dotted all over the place after a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment