Monday 4 November 2013

My Idea: Developed and Finalised

I've been developing my idea on Illustrator over the half term, and have made some significant decisions that have impacted the strength of the message that's intended and the overall success of the poster. A decision on the font style has been made - a comic strip style - but the specific font that I'm going to be used I'm not sure on. I've chosen one and put it on the design, but I'm going to get feedback from my class on it as I think it may slightly detract from my poster being meant to be aimed at girls.

Here's a brief look at how my idea developed/came together.



Final Piece
The colours
I chose to change the colours as I felt my design was losing the Pop Art feel. Whilst the pink was in blocks and was contrasted by the black on the rest of the page (which is true to Pop Art), I was only using it as it was stereotypical to attract females. I thought about it further and decided to settle with the colours of the rainbow - primary and secondary colours - and have now focused all of the colour into the centre of the page rather than have a bold coloured border. The colours are very slightly transparent - they have a 85% opacity - as I didn't want them to be too strong so that they were too contrasted against the black of the dress and hard to look at.

The background
Tribute to Roy Lichtenstein (a Pop Art artist) and his signature dots. 

The font
This was actually one of the hardest decisions about designing this poster, and was one of the last design choices I made.

I returned back to researching some Pop Art as I wanted to choose something that was both true to the style but still actually fit in with the imagery on my poster. I started to look at Roy Lichtenstein's work again, as I was initially inspired by his work for the background.
Whaam! - Roy Lichtenstein
"Oh Jeff..." - Roy Lichtenstein
I looked at these pieces the most, and noted the comic book style. Sans-serif fonts that are bold and work well with a Stroke effect added. So I started to look at existing comic style fonts. I wanted something bold to feature in the centre of the page and that would mimic the thickness of the silhouettes that surround it - so that the only thing stopping it from blending in would be the colour of it. Below are a few I looked at.
I liked the look of all of them. They're all very similar - bold, sans serif, would suit a stroke effect or would sit well on their own as one bold colour, easily manipulated (e.g. alignment, kerning etc) due to their even shapes. I decided on the following though.
The main reason I chose this font was the way the 'i' is styled - it's lower case, and its obvious. To type in this font you have to type in capitals, but the above is how the letters appear. I liked the look of the random lower case letter. It makes the text look more fun and quirky, and matches the message I am trying to put across about science - it's fun, its popular, everyone enjoys it.

No comments:

Post a Comment