Tuesday 11 February 2014

Gradual Improvements

When editing and applying sound effects, I've been saving out versions of my film each time, so have several versions of it (each at 20 seconds long). This helps me to show how I've developed it and improved my editing each time, hopefully creating a snappier, 'sharper' version of my film at each export.

Version 1

This version ends quite abruptly, as I was unsure how I was going to edit it. It's snappy, but doesn't actually have enough edits, and the beginning is too long. There's quite a lot of time between each vibrate, and it's resulted in quite an uneven rhythm. Also, there are breaks in the sound effects. It does not feel like there has been too much sound built up, and as a result there's a lack of tension and panic. To improve I needed to add more sounds and more shots, simple. 

Version 2
Here I have added the ending, and added more shots and sounds. Although, you can hear unwanted noise from shots that should really be muted. I felt like the doorbell at the end was too soon, there needed to be more breathing space between the hoover turning off and the doorbell sounding. There's also a difference in the sound of the hoover, as there are two different sound effects playing one after the other, so I needed to source a better version. 

Version 3

In this version I have extended the length of the heartbeat and turned it into one that's continuous and plays throughout, although there are points where it drops out and it can't be heard - this needed to be improved. When I showed this to a friend he also suggested repetitive use of the 'heavy breathing' sound effect, and perhaps shifting it so it's heard quite prominently when the hoover cuts out and fills the time between that and the doorbell sounding. By adding another shot (a drawer being closed) it forced be to trim the existing shots even further, which has resulted in an even snappier edit which is better. 

I'm working on the (hopefully) final version at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment