Wednesday 5 February 2014

Room Tone

I'm editing my film at the moment, and I'm finding the sound aspect of it tricky. There are points where I need to mute the sound from each clip, which is easily done, but it leaves a 'lull' of complete silence. I did some research online about this, and came across the phrases 'room tone' and 'wildtrack'.

These are filmmaking terms that describe the sound a room/location (e.g. a forest) is when it is just left - no other action is taking place, no one is talking etc. This creates the room tone/wild track, which can then be overlaid over an entire scene to avoid these lulls of silence and create consistency through each cut. It also helps to avoid a change in sounds between each cut, again creating consistency. This is the room tone I'm considering using in my film;

No comments:

Post a Comment