Monday 31 March 2014

I Think I've Finished...

I think I have FINALLY (!) finished my iBook! Here's a few screenshots of what it looks like and some of my favourite pages and final developments.
I really love the graphics on this page. If I had more time I'd like to implement more interactivity to it, as at this time there is none, but I'm really happy with the graphics. I think they really fit the visual style of the iBook and they easily explain and demonstrate the different types of volcano. I've tried to keep this visual style throughout the entire iBook, and I think it's successful. When I did some testing of my iBook and asked for a general opinion,  I was complemented on this. 

Also, in the final stages of the creation of my iBook I made the decision to feature proper images at a low opacity in the background. The decision to do this was based on my feeling that the pages of information (e.g. not the title pages or chapter beginnings) were looking quite blank. Text was sitting against pure green background (with the slight alternation of shades) and each page was looking dull and not very inviting. The images are relevant to the chapter that it's in, and help tie all of the pages within that chapter together. I was careful not to set them at too high of an opacity so as not to reduce readability of the page.
I like this page as it's simple, fun and has a good level of interactivity. I think the graphics I've included here are great, and overall I think the graphics in my iBook are one of it's strengths. Below are some examples of them.

Whilst I did experiment with textures (and you can see that in particular on the front cover of the iBook and in the Table of Contents) I made the decision to lay off of them on the smaller graphics. I felt it would detract too much and take the design either further from its Flat UI inspired roots. Instead I experimented with lighter shaded shapes above the original (e.g. to represent light) and this is particularly obvious in the 'glass of water' and 'soft drink' examples above. 

Another feature I decided to implement whilst finishing up my iBook was something I refer to as the 'yellow info bar'.
These sit in the top left hand corner of the page of a lot of pages, and on the designated chapters will run throughout the entire thing. They're designed to look like they're attached to the main 'Ribbon' title, so end behind it but do not run through the entire back (where it would be visible). I decided to have them as I was aware that my chosen Red & Yellow went well together, and I needed somewhere to put Sub-titles. They work well and are in a position that allows me to consistently put them in the same spot as they will never detract from the content on the page. 
Above is an example of my efforts to really simplify what the end user is seeing on the screen. When creating these, I tried to consider the target audience. Yes, asking a question does not make it 'specific' to 16 year olds, but the design is rather candid and basic but gets straight to the point. The added slightly wonky arrow adds a small sense of quirkiness and I like the look that it gives. These are shown at the start of selected Sections within my iBook, and aim to give the user an immediate understanding of what's going to be covered in the section - the answer to that question.

No comments:

Post a Comment