Thursday 13 March 2014

Sourcing Content & Copyright

Whilst developing my ideas for the look of my iBook, I've also been sourcing my content that will help build it up.

Copyright Issues
One of the main issues I've been focusing on is Copyright. There are 1000's upon 1000's of articles of Volcanoes on the Internet, and even more Images. A lot of these are really good images, but they have next to no information on Copyright and whether or not they can be used or not. Whilst I will not be selling my iBook, I still want to adhere to any restrictions and avoid as many problems as possible when it comes to copyright. So, I've been looking at Wikipedia.

At first, that sounds a bit ridiculous. I understand that Wikipedia is not considered a reliable resource, so I haven't been using it to gain any knowledge and write any articles for my iBook - I've been using it for images. I've found that a lot of (and on the subject of Volcanos, the major of) the images on the Wikipedia articles for that subject are 'free in the public domain'. This means that in most cases, credit is not generally required and I am free to do with those images as I please. So, they can feature in my iBook without any big issues. Of course, Wikipedia does not hold the key to a huge gallery of fabulous and suitable Volcano images - they usually only contain a maximum of 4-5 images per article - so I haven't been able to find all of my images here. I've also looked at the NASA site.

Very similar to Wikipedia, NASA supplies images (that they have created themselves) in a public photo gallery that is free for anyone to access. They're free to the public domain and have limited restrictions on their use. Below are some examples of some images I'm considering using in my iBook.

Videos
I've been looking to Vimeo and YouTube for good educational videos that I can include in my iBook. Below are some that I have decided are appropriate and would fit within my iBook.

Shield Volcanoes

Yellowstone Caldera

Graphics
As far as sourcing Graphics and Graphs goes, I've decided not to do this. I want to create them all myself to fit within my chosen visual style, as I can decide exactly what information to include and have the freedom to truly simplify something or develop it further. I want to stick with flat colours - so steer away from textures as much as possible. Below are some colour schemes that I have picked off of images that I like and that illustrate the sort of look I want to achieve. There aren't too many 'pure' colours there, as I think I may try to add a hint of the 'retro' style in too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment